When to Consider Mold Remediation
If your home or business is contaminated, you should get a mold remediation immediately, along with mycotoxin testing. Even a small amount of mold can be dangerous. A specific danger level has not been set by governments because its effects on most people can vary. One person may have minor affects, while another person in the same property may have major reactions. The famous mold doctor Dr. Shoemaker, now retired from practice has indicated that 1 in 4 carry a gene that makes them more susceptible to mold toxicity or he coined CIRS (Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome).
So why do we suggest for you to get rid of any amount of mold even though there’s no law to determine a ‘danger’ limit? Well, although the effects on people may vary, long term exposure is likely to cause harm to most people. Some effects may not present themselves for years and can cause doctors to mistake the symptoms as another illness.
For example: a person can move into a moldy home and ignore the problem because it doesn’t seem to cause any harm. Years later, this person begins to suffer from memory loss and his doctor mistakes the memory loss as a part of the aging process. As a result, more symptoms begin to reveal themselves since long term exposure weakens the immune system and lungs. Furthermore, he grows very ill and encounters a number of health problems that could affect him for the rest of his life. This is a scenario that could have been avoided with a simple mold remediation.
Other diagnoses that may be mold related is Lyme disease, fibromyalgia, cancer, abdominal pain, neurological damage including numbness, tingling, metallic taste and vertigo as well as memory loss or the ability to concentrate.
So to be safe, any time there is active growth, you should consider a mold remediation, as recommended by the EPA and mycotoxin testing. Also, keep in mind that there is no such thing as a ‘good’ or a ‘safe’ mold that grows indoors.