Mold Remediation Company Vs. Do-it-Yourself

mold remediation company vs diy

There is often a lot of confusion surrounding the question, “Should I clean the mold up myself or should I hire a mold remediation company?” Some people say that you can clean it yourself with no problem and others state that you should never try to clean it. However, even with all of the confusion, the answer is pretty simple and straightforward. Let’s talk about it!

First Thing’s First

Before addressing the cleaning process, you should first find and correct the cause. Since mold is usually caused by a moisture issue, you should first check for the following moisture intrusion types around the moldy area.

  • Plumbing Leaks
  • Ceiling Leaks
  • Floods / Puddles
  • Recent Spills
  • Humidifier

These are some common water intrusions that causes mold growth. If you find one of these issues near the affected area, then you may have your cause. The first thing to do if you encounter one of these issues, or any other moisture issue, is to stop it as quickly as possible. If you have to call a professional to come out, ask them for tips to keep the area as dry as possible until they arrive. You should take care of the moisture issue before contacting a mold remediation company because if you get a mold remediation before correcting the moisture issue, mold will likely grow back within a few days.

What if I can’t locate the moisture intrusion?

If you cannot locate the moisture yourself, you should contact a moisture management company. These companies will be able to locate the moisture issue and will likely know what needs to be done to correct them. Usually, these companies will be able to fix the problem themselves, however, if they encounter a plumbing issue that requires professional plumbers, they will likely have some great recommendations.

Mold Remediation Company Vs. Do-it-Yourself

Once you have found and corrected the issue that is causing mold growth, you can decide how to move forward with the removal process. The simple rule to follow when deciding is to measure the moldy area. If you have visible mold and it covers more than 9 sq. feet than you should strongly consider hiring professionals. If the area of visible mold is less than 9 sq. feet, DIY mold removal could possibly work. The reason that I stress “possibly” is because in some cases, there may be invisible or hidden mold. You could also have active growth in other areas of the property without realizing it. If you ever try a DIY process and the mold grows back or mold symptoms consist, consider hiring a mold company for testing and inspection to get a better idea of what’s going that you can’t see.

Mold Remediation Company

So how do you deal with hiring a mold remediation company? The first step is to discover which company best fits the needs of your family. Some remediation methods use strong chemicals that may be harmful if digested by a small child or pet. Since mold grows on just about any type of surface, everything in an affected area will need to be cleaned during a thorough remediation. This includes those small objects that small children or pets may put into their mouths. Always ask companies what type of chemicals they use and the potential dangers. American Mold Experts uses a 100% green product that does not contain any harmful ingredients. Our cleaning solution not only thoroughly cleans mold, but it’s also safe for anyone. If your baby is at the age where all objects needs a taste test, our solution would be a great option.

To learn more about how a professional remediation process works, read our guide to a successful mold removal.

Do-it-yourself Mold Remediation

A do-it-yourself approach to mold could be a bit more risky for the health of yourself and those around you if you don’t take proper precautions. The first step to protecting the health of everyone is to remove anyone from the property that is a toddler, pregnant, elderly or has a weakened immune system during the remediation. To protect yourself, and anyone that is helping clean the mold, be sure wear appropriate protective gear.

If you are thinking of using a DIY process, read our What is Mold? article for in depth steps.

Conclusion

Mold can be stressful. Not only can it affect the health of you and your family, it can also affect your wallet and your home. The most important thing to remember is to always do what’s best for the health of your family no matter how you decide to clean it.