Mold has a reputation for often times affecting families, homes and health without even being noticed by the family. The symptoms are sometimes ignored or mistaken for other problems, especially since it often grows behind the wall/wallpaper, in the attic, in crawl spaces, and many other locations where families may not occupy. However, there are still many signs that can warn you that it may be in your home. Listed below, are 3 mold symptoms that you should not avoid.
Mold has an earthy, musty smell that is very unpleasant. If it is in your home, you will likely notice this smell. It’s usually stronger in a certain area(s) of your home. Don’t expect to always see the it in the room(s) that has the strongest odor, due to the fact that it can often grow behind the walls and underneath the carpet.
As there are more than 10,000 species of mold, the most common species have a cottony, velvety or leathery appearance and comes in white, gray, brown, black, yellow or green. Other visible symptoms include: foggy windows, discoloration of walls/wallpaper and discoloration of carpet.
Some people are sensitive to mold and have health reactions when exposed. The most common health symptom that it causes is allergy-like conditions. If you or any members in your family are experiencing a higher rate of headaches, coughing sneezing, sinus issues or trouble breathing, that can be mold symptoms. Other health signs include: skin / eye irritation, sore throat, asthma and in some cases, death.
If you believe that you have a mold problem in your home, it is best to take action now. It will continue to grow, health issues will likely worsen and the cost to remediate will continue to rise. Also remember that the safest and most sure way to remove it is to hire a remediation company.